Saturday, August 29, 2015

Exposure: Another Bomb Black Professor

Let me begin by apologizing for the “dear diary” nature of what you’re about to read. I’m sorry and I promise that it won’t always be this way. I can hear my YouTubing brother yelling at me about consistency now. It’s just that I forgot how much I love college. I got back to school a few days ago and recently had my first day of classes. But bear with me; this actually is about both film and Black people.



Sometime during my first year of college, I saw this film called Sugarcoated Arsenic by two Black UVA professors, Claudrena Harold (“YASSS” personified) and Kevin Jerome Everson (my new, well renown, bomb film professor). This short film is about the Black Studies Movement here on my campus. I highly recommend it. I was so excited to see that there were people on campus making the sort of art that I am interested in making. Furthermore, these people are in a position that gives me the opportunity to learn from them. So, naturally, I wiggled my way into the class. Right about now, I feel like my decision-making and maneuvering skills are on fleek. 

It’s only been one class and I’m already like “Yes. I will be a filmmaker. This is going to happen.” By simply emphasizing the importance of art in society, Professor Everson reminded me that my perspective is valid. Furthermore, he pointed out that my perspective is valuable. No one else can say what I can say. That goes for you too. The thing I like most about his philosophy is the emphasis on the importance of what’s in the machine instead of the machine itself. You can replace a camera, but you can’t replace the glimpses of your mind that you use the camera to capture.  He explained that we are “exposing the world to our ideas.” That’s beautiful. I think we’re about ready for a kumbayah or something. 

Let me tell you, Professor Everson is quirky as a mug. And I like it. He rambles and jokes and muses, while still managing to really teach me things. He would honestly probably offend like forty people that I know, but he’s right up my ally. He says what he thinks and doesn’t apologize for it. His mind is a constantly moving machine.  Just like our fight for freedom can’t stop, neither can the production of art. I really dig what happens when you put those ideas together. That’s me. Art for freedom’s sake. This semester’s got me feeling like it’s all really going to happen. 

He kept saying, “You have to make something.” He figured that sitting and musing about art is less important than actually making it. I think that I agree. My only stipulation is that I think that it’s important to take in the things that others have put out for two reasons. One: inspiration matters. Perspective has to come from somewhere. I’m not advocating copying, I’m just saying that Dr. King read Gandhi before he just started marching down hostile southern streets. Two: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” If I make something, I want someone to see it. I’d like to return the favor. My point is that now, you’ll also be getting a taste of what I make or how I make it. I still want to tell you what inspires and repulses me, but I also want to share how that affects my work. 

I’m telling you, this film class has me so hype right now. Like wow. I’m ready to create and inspire and make moves. Moves and movies. I think that this semester, I will really gain some tools to do that. 



Now, I feel like making waves isn’t just a dream, but a tangible and necessary reality. No longer can I only write about art; I have to continue to make it, as well. You all stand as witnesses to my personal challenge. While I’m here for the next three years, I want to fully immerse myself in all that Black culture and art has to offer. In turn, I hope to use what I learn to pour back into our legacy. This is all starting to sound like an admissions essay, but can I just have this moment? Black people have so much to say and so much to give. Our ideas should be at the forefront of films, too.  As I walk these “grounds” I’m preparing to make something deep and beautiful and spiritual and powerful and rich and intelligent and creative and soulful happen. Y’all ready?

4 comments: